By now you have received information from Superintendent, Dr. Harwick about school campuses being closed until the end of the school year.
After Governor Newsom and the Orange County Department of Education’s Superintendent, Al Mijarers, recommended school campuses stay closed for the remainder of the school year, in consensus with our Board of Trustees and our feeder districts, it was decided that school campuses will remain closed for the rest of the 2019-2020 academic year. It is hard to believe that we will no longer hold culminating activities in our traditional format. We are all working on ways to honor and recognize our students through end-of-year award ceremonies, graduation, etc. We will also be making a plan for our students to pick up their yearbooks.
To our seniors: we understand how difficult this time is for you and your families. We have received many questions about graduation requirements. On April 1, 2020, State Board of Education President, Linda Darling-Hammond, provided some clarification when she said, “All seniors who are on track for graduation should be able to graduate.” The UC, Private Schools, and CSU systems also provided some guidance on undergraduate admissions policies and practices. Below are links to the statements made by these college systems:
On Monday, April 6, 2020 we will resume with our rotating block schedule; which can be found on our website
. Monday will EVEN and will be a modified late start day. This does not mean you need to be at your computer the entire period of each day. Teachers may schedule Google hangout meetings, they may show recorded lectures of lessons, they may use Google documents for assignments, etc. You will need to check in every day for your classes to make sure you know what you need to get done. Using our block schedule will help you create a structure to help you stay on track and complete assignments for credit/grades. Your teachers will be connecting with you and sending out assignments starting Monday...here are some reminders for you:
- Teachers are transitioning to online learning platforms and will provide content specific instruction which include assignments and assessments for grades/credits.
- Students, please make sure to:
- Check your email and utilize strategies to stay organized
- Check Canvas daily for announcements and assignments
- Remember grading has resumed, make sure to complete all of your work.
- Contact your teachers with any questions. All teacher email addresses are on the school website.
- Visit tech support if you need help with technology
- Canvas, Gmail and Aeries account problems
- Request for Chromebook repairs and returns
- Questions about Google Apps and other school related applications
- Parents, please check with your student to ensure they are logging into Canvas daily, checking emails, completing work assigned, etc. If you need assistance, please check our website or https://my.hbuhsd.edu/ to view tutorials that can help you become an observer on Canvas and view Aeries which will help you monitor your student’s progress.
- Since we will not be returning to campus this school year, we know students have items to retrieve from lockers and classrooms. We are currently putting a plan together to ensure students will be able to come to campus in a way that is safe and honors social distancing if they choose. If a student has an emergency and needs to retrieve something right away, please contact Mr. Walanski at email@example.com.
- 3rd quarter grades will be posted in Aeries on April 10th.
- During the week of Spring Break, April 13-17th, all schools and the District Office will be closed. Grab-and-Go lunches will not be available during this week.
I want to thank all of you again for your support during these times. I have met with all of our teachers this week and they miss all of you, as do I. Our OV community is second to none and I am so proud to work with and for all of you each and every day. You definitely can’t spell love without OV!